About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Monday 16 July 2007

Musical Boats

There have been a few boats with musical overtones through Banbury this last week. I was taken by the name of a boat being worked on by Tooley's Boatyard. It is called Comfortably Numb. We all know the feeling after a few beers: that feeling of well being that narrowboating can provide. I thought how apt the boat name was. Then I heard someone say, "Pink Floyd wasn't it?" And, of course, yeas it was. The lyric goes:
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Even more apt if you are cruising around spending the child's inheritance!

Another boat in the town is England's Dreaming. I thought this may have a football connotation. You know, we are all dreaming of winning something again! But when I asked the skipper he said "No". It's about the revolution on Music from the punk era of the seventies onward.

I found when I googled it:

<"England's Dreaming," by Jon Savage, is an exhaustive book about the history of punk rock. Written in 1992, shortly after grunge's ascent>


Add these to the favorite chorus when we see the boat "Pearl" (Pearl's a singer, she stands up when she plays the piano...." ) and the numerous boats named after Beatles songs and we could make quite a medley as we cruise down the canal.

No comments: